Case Study: Y4 - PE

 Year 4 - PE


Real PE - Personal cognitive (using REAL GYM)


In this unit of 6 lessons the focus is for the children to improve their personal mindset in PE. This unit really connects well with our CARES curriculum with a particular focus on resilience. Through sport and PE this unit is designed to increase the children’s self esteem; ability to tackle challenges; understanding of perseverance and the importance of practice. This is a brilliantly inclusive unit of work that targets ALL children - whether they are more engaged with sport or not. It is expected that the children will then be able to use the skills they have learnt in PE across everyday life and learning in the classroom.


Session 1: 1 hour. Introduction to partner balance


The warm up of this lesson was ‘Shape up’ where children explore a range of body movements on a mat making as many different shapes as they can, focusing on balance. Children began to develop sequence movements, stopping at progression 6.


The skill section of this lesson was to introduce balance. The children start off individually at first exploring different body parts they can balance on. 


Working in a pair or in a group of 3, take turns to perform a ‘log lift’ on each other, where one of you lies on your back on a mat, while your partner(s) holds your ankles and lifts you up as shown in the image. The aim is to keep your body line completely straight while being lifted and lowered. To help achieve this, engage the muscles in your stomach and bottom to maintain tension throughout. 


This was lovely to hear how the children were working together and giving feedback to each other on how to improve their balances. 




Partner balance - first attempt!



Teacher sharing success criteria with class at the start of the unit.



Personal

  • I can cope well and react positively when things become difficult

  • I can persevere with a task

  • I can improve my performance through regular practice

  • I have begun to challenge myself

  • I try several times

  • If I don’t succeed the first time I can ask for help when appropriate



Exploring shapes in Shape Up warm up.

Another try at Partner balance!


Session 2: 1 hour. Reaching out


The warm up for this lesson continued from last week with ‘Shape up’ the teacher picked up from where they left off (stage 6). Recapped balance and then encouraged children to think about how they could travel between their steps in their sequence using pathways (stopped at stage 8). I can improve my performance through regular practice.


The children moved on to the skill section working with partners. Think, pair, share - What do the terms ‘base of support’ and ‘contact points’ mean? (the number of body parts/contacts you have with the floor). This week the children were challenged to see if they could have lesson bases of support and contact points with the floor. 


The main part of the lesson was ‘Reaching out’. This really focused on the children trying to beat their personal best and improve themselves. The children have to have both feet on the edge of the mat and leaning forward (one hand on the floor) they have to place a cone out in front of them as far as they can. The children repeat this to see if they can stretch further. The children that were more confident competed against their peers whilst the less confident children continued to compete against themselves. 


Reaching out.

Improvement during Shape Up warm up. 



Personal

  • I can cope well and react positively when things become difficult

  • I can persevere with a task

  • I can improve my performance through regular practice

  • I have begun to challenge myself

  • I try several times

  • If I don’t succeed the first time I can ask for help when appropriate


Session 3: 1 hour. Acrobatic sequences 


This week during the warm up ‘Shape up’ the children practised their sequences with travel movements included. The children then started to learn their sequences to music and were encouraged to keep them in rhythm. Some of the children then performed them to the class and received feedback from the rest of the class. Next lesson the children will then be given the opportunity to improve their work. 


In partner balance this week, we encouraged the children to try the support ‘bunk bed’ balance with their partner. This was tricky for some of the children so they really had to persevere but as you can see from the photos you can see that they improved and were more successful. I can persevere with a task.



Supported - bunk balance. 


In the main part of the lesson the children had a go at making acrobatic sequences. Choose 3 or 4 partner balances which you can perform. (They drew these on a white board or paper to help.) They then practised these balances. We asked the class to create an order for their balances. We encouraged the children to try to make the sequence flow, as they move from one balance to the next. We challenged some children to add a movement (or 2) between each balance to make your sequence more exciting. Finally, the groups had to add a start and end position to complete their sequence.



Acrobatic sequences 


Personal

  • I can cope well and react positively when things become difficult

  • I can persevere with a task

  • I can improve my performance through regular practice

  • I have begun to challenge myself

  • I try several times

  • If I don’t succeed the first time I can ask for help when appropriate


Session 4: 1 hour. Beanbag rolls 


The warm up this week moved on to ‘Bounce in Time’ which includes bouncing a ball to a rhythm. In groups of 4 or 5 children bounce pass the ball to each other to start. The groups then begin to chant a rhythm 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 and try to bounce the ball in time to the beat, the groups that were ready moved on to trying to clap in time as well (stopped at stage 3). I have begun to challenge myself



‘Bounce in Time’

The skill application this week moves on to ‘rotation’ which allows the children to practise a variety of rolls and to improve their techniques. The first roll the children tried was the dish and arch roll. Think, pair, share - how do we perform a roll properly? What should you be doing with your arms and legs? Teacher looks closely and ensures children have their arms and legs straight and extended. In pairs, children give feedback to each of their partners. If I don’t succeed the first time I can ask for help when appropriate.


The main part of the lesson was Beanbag Rolls. In pairs, the children shared a mat in small groups and take turns to roll (arms and legs straight) while carrying a bean bag(s) from one end of the mat to the other without dropping it/them. When not performing, help by putting the bean bags into the hands and between the feet of the one performing. This proved to be tricky for some of the children as they kept dropping the bean bags and missing the hoops so it really worked on their perseverance skills. I try several times. I can cope well and react positively when things become difficult. The more able children progressed so they were carrying a beanbag between their feet at the same time as carrying one in their hands too. 



Beanbag roll



Personal

  • I can cope well and react positively when things become difficult

  • I can persevere with a task

  • I can improve my performance through regular practice

  • I have begun to challenge myself

  • I try several times

  • If I don’t succeed the first time I can ask for help when appropriate


Session 5: 1 hour. Jump, roll, balance.


The children continued where they left off Bounce in Time as their warm up activity (step 3).  In this lesson the children were given a ball each to bounce in time to the rhythm but this they were given 8 counts rather than 4 to make it trickier than last week. When the children were confident enough they were asked to perform an exchange pass between with someone else in their groups but trying to maintain the rhythm. 


The next part of the lesson the children continued with the idea of rotation from the last lesson but they were given the choice of hand apparatus. They could choose hula hoops or scarves. Children thought of as many ways as they could to rotate their equipment but also thought about balancing to challenge themselves. I have begun to challenge myself.

Rotation with apparatus.

 



The main part of the lesson was Jump, Balance, Roll. Using the pre printed cards the children chose as many as they wanted to think to come up with a sequence with their group. To challenge the more confident children some of them were given equipment from last week such as hula hoops and scarves. Each group finished the lesson by performing their sequences to the rest of the class. They all gave each other feedback - a lovely way to end the unit!


Personal

  • I can cope well and react positively when things become difficult

  • I can persevere with a task

  • I can improve my performance through regular practice

  • I have begun to challenge myself

  • I try several times

  • If I don’t succeed the first time I can ask for help when appropriate


Comments